.NET SQLClient data provider

• I often used to wonder when I see the "Application Name" of any process accessing the SQL Databases, as it would be mostly noted as ".NET SQLClient data provider".. why isnt there a way to specify an application name instead of leaving the default name when the application is being coded in .NET?

The reason I think about it is, it would be more useful if the name of the application would be returned, rather than showing up a generic name when we trace the connections from SQL side.

• The application can provide it:

Adjust application name

Taking advantage of applicationname[/url]

Easily fixed in the data-access-layer of the application.

• Like Jo pointed out, it's just a variable in the connection string, and really easy to change.

you can even make SQL Server Management Studio show up with a different applicaiton name if you want:

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• ok, so its the carelessness of the developer which causes a lot of different "same name" applications to appear when seen from a database perspective. I understand that it needs to be taken care during the application development / deployment phase, and there is no possibility to change that from within the database itself..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply