.NET 1.1 client using SQL 2008 Express?

• We've got an application written in .NET 1.1 which currently uses MSDE as its database.

In order to make this work with Windows 7 (we never bothered with Vista), I need to either:

1 Run it in an XP virtual machine.

2 Upgrade to 2005 or 2008 Express.

I think option 2 is the better one, as option 1 doesn't move forward, and produces problems for our customers when installing.

I know that SQL 2008 Express needs the .NET 2.0 (or is it 3.5?) runtime. However, I'm not sure whether we can run our .NET 1.1 application against SQL 2008 Express, without upgrading to .NET 2.0 or above.

I'm hoping we can have the client running with .NET 1.1, while the database is running using the .NET 2.0/3.5 runtime.

I really don't want to upgrade the client to .NET 3.5, due to cost and validation implications (the app has to go through FDA certification).

Can someone clarify the situation, please, or point me to resources which can do so?

Thanks,

James

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• So just to be clear, you're saying that (notwithstanding any code changes I might have to make in my .NET 1.1 client to work with 2008) I should be able to have the client running against .NET 1.1, with .NET 3.5 SP1 also installed (which I know we can have installed as well as .NET 1.1) to support the SQL2008 instance?

stewartc-708166 (12/23/2009)

.net framework 1.1 is maintained independently of any other framework.

please bear in mind, all editions of SQL2008 require .net 3.5 SP1 (due to, inter alia, CLR)

:hehe:

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• James Lavery (12/23/2009)

We've got an application written in .NET 1.1 which currently uses MSDE as its database.

In order to make this work with Windows 7 (we never bothered with Vista), I need to either:

I think option 2 is the better one, as option 1 doesn't move forward, and produces problems for our customers when installing.

I know that SQL 2008 Express needs the .NET 2.0 (or is it 3.5?) runtime. However, I'm not sure whether we can run our .NET 1.1 application against SQL 2008 Express, without upgrading to .NET 2.0 or above.

I'm hoping we can have the client running with .NET 1.1, while the database is running using the .NET 2.0/3.5 runtime.

I really don't want to upgrade the client to .NET 3.5, due to cost and validation implications (the app has to go through FDA certification).

Can someone clarify the situation, please, or point me to resources which can do so?

Thanks,

James

If the application is in .NET 1.1 you can use SQL Server 2005 because I am running SQL Server 2005 in Windows 7 it complains but if you ignore the complain it installs and works without issues. You also have the option to include application start elements in your app.config which will resolve framework version issues.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (12/23/2009)

James Lavery (12/23/2009)

We've got an application written in .NET 1.1 which currently uses MSDE as its database.

Thanks,

James

If the application is in .NET 1.1 you can use SQL Server 2005 because I am running SQL Server 2005 in Windows 7 it complains but if you ignore the complain it installs and works without issues. You also have the option to include application start elements in your app.config which will resolve framework version issues.

Thanks - so hopefully the same applies if we use SQL 2008!

• Thanks - so hopefully the same applies if we use SQL 2008!

SQL Server 2008 comes with features that may cause your .NET 1.1 application issues but you could move the data to SQL Server 2005 and then upgrade the 2005 to 2008 and then connect to the application.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply