Need Powershell command to list # CORES per computer -- qualified by Computer "name"

• We need to list #CORES per SQL Server Computer in our environment.  (we have over 200 SQL Servers).  This Powershell command works great for 1 computer:

Get-CimInstance -ClassName 'Win32_Processor' | Select-Object -Property 'DeviceID', 'Name', 'NumberOfCores';

Is there a way I can modify this to render the same output for MULTIPLE computer names?   I don't necessarily need a FOREACH loop as I can just duplicate the above line 200 times w/ a FILTER on COMPUTER NAME.

I'm having difficulty incorporating the:   -Filter "Name -like 'MyComputeName1*'" .    Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

BT
  • RTFM is handy sometimes.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/cimcmdlets/get-ciminstance?view=powershell-6

Get-CimInstance [-ComputerName <String[]>] ....

just build a string array with the names of the computers you need to query and pass it to the Get-CimInstance

On the output one of the properties will be populated with the computer name.

• I embedded my original commandinto the  -Invoke-Command ----- and specified the -ComputerName followed by the -ScriptBlock contents which was my original command. 

Working Example:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName MyComputeName1 -ScriptBlock {Get-CimInstance -ClassName 'Win32_Processor' | Select-Object -Property 'NumberOfCores'; }

This worked nicely

BT
  • Express12 - Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:21 AM

I embedded my original commandinto the  -Invoke-Command ----- and specified the -ComputerName followed by the -ScriptBlock contents which was my original command. 

Working Example:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName MyComputeName1 -ScriptBlock {Get-CimInstance -ClassName 'Win32_Processor' | Select-Object -Property 'NumberOfCores'; }

This worked nicely

You can specify computer name with just Get-CimInstance. With what you were originally trying to do, you could just add that parameter:
      Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Processor -ComputerName YourComputerName | select-object PSComputerName, Name, DeviceID, NumberOfCores

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply