My Backups always fail on Tuesday...

• My backup procedure consist of doing a full db backup and copying the .bak file over to my test server and development servers the command for backing up looks like this

full backup:

BACKUP DATABASE [myLGdb] TO [DB_Full_DBbk] WITH INIT , NAME = N'DB FULL DB bkup', NOSKIP

Diff backup:

BACKUP DATABASE [myLGdb] TO [DB_DIFF_bk] WITH INIT , DIFFERENTIAL , NAME = N'DB DIFF', NOSKIP

RESTORE sequence:

RESTORE DATABASE devREDe FROM DISK = 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\DB.bak' WITH STANDBY = 'D:\BACKUP\FullDB.tmp'

GO

RESTORE DATABASE devREDe FROM DISK = 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\DB_DIFF.bak' WITH FILE = 1, RECOVERY

GO

Every Tuesday, my test & development servers are stuck on "read-only" because the Diff backup was bad. If I revisit the main server and do another diff backup it is still bad. however if I do a "FULL" backup via the script and restore on the test and production server, then the rest of the week the test and dev servers stay in synch. anyone know why?

btw, I tried this sample script someone else provided me on another list, it was to help validate the timestamp on my diff backups, and they are definatly confirmed to have been made "after" the primary full db backup

btw, I do have a log backup that occurs during the day when the log hits 60%....

-- Francisco

• It is Wednesday, and all is well ... 😐 I re-ran the jobs for a full db backup and restored it on the test and Dev Servers, That got me through Tuesday, This morning I came in and the test and dev servers restored fine w/o a problem. For some reason my Tuesday Restore of the Diff backup are somehow damaged. What is bizar is that the initial full backup is Sunday night's backup, and is restored for Monday, then on Monday I have a Diff backup that fails for Tuesday, however, if I Re-run the Full backup on Tuesday and restore it, I get a good Wednesday morning, and it continues till next tuesday... any thoughts?

-- Francisco

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply