Music Server for a budget Audiophile

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/8/2011)

mtillman-921105 (7/8/2011)

So far, I'm only using WAV files, but I plan to experiment.

Yeah, I started out with .wav files too, but ended up caving in and using .MP3s because portability turned out to be more important than sound quality. I can fit 10 times as many files on my iPod with MP3 as I can with WAV and that's important as I already have more files on there than I could fit if they were WAV files. And my collection is less than half-ripped.

I also recommend a network capable Buffalo drive. I got a 1 TB drive and it was easy to put on the network, it is quiet and fast.

If that's not the right link, I apologize. I got mine at Microcenter and I didn't look closely at the product in the link. It is the right brand though. For hardware, I usually use Pricewatch[/url]

Yeah, your link is good. Wow, a terabyte for only about $60. I'll keep that in mind - that drive I'm using is old, so I'm taking a chance.

Also, it looks like DartPro is mainly for restoration rather than playing back music. Or am I looking at the wrong application types?

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (7/8/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/8/2011)

mtillman-921105 (7/8/2011)

So far, I'm only using WAV files, but I plan to experiment.

Yeah, I started out with .wav files too, but ended up caving in and using .MP3s because portability turned out to be more important than sound quality. I can fit 10 times as many files on my iPod with MP3 as I can with WAV and that's important as I already have more files on there than I could fit if they were WAV files. And my collection is less than half-ripped.

I also recommend a network capable Buffalo drive. I got a 1 TB drive and it was easy to put on the network, it is quiet and fast.

If that's not the right link, I apologize. I got mine at Microcenter and I didn't look closely at the product in the link. It is the right brand though. For hardware, I usually use Pricewatch[/url]

Yeah, your link is good. Wow, a terabyte for only about $60. I'll keep that in mind - that drive I'm using is old, so I'm taking a chance.

Also, it looks like DartPro is mainly for restoration rather than playing back music. Or am I looking at the wrong application types?

Oh, you're using it for playback? I thought you were dissatisfied with how it was ripping. Sorry about that.

And getting the Buffalo drive might be a good idea even if you're only using it for backups. I now have 2 1TB HDs on my network, one for music, one for backups.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• No problem, yeah I'm playing music with my old PC into my home stereo amplifier. I should emphasize, by the way, that this sound card is only for two speakers (or channels) - it's not "home theatre." (You can buy another Asus card for that though.)

I should also mention that I bought the PCI sound card rather than the PCIe card. The PCI version is little more expensive, but I didn't have any free PCIe slots available.

Yes, I should buy another drive like that if nothing else but to use as a backup. I'll plan to do that. Thanks!

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (7/8/2011)

No problem, yeah I'm playing music with my old PC into my home stereo amplifier. I should emphasize, by the way, that this sound card is only for two speakers (or channels) - it's not "home theatre." (You can buy another Asus card for that though.)

I should also mention that I bought the PCI sound card rather than the PCIe card. The PCI version is little more expensive, but I didn't have any free PCIe slots available.

Yes, I should buy another drive like that if nothing else but to use as a backup. I'll plan to do that. Thanks!

I have an external USB-RBG converter, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• That reminds me, I'd like to know if the video card in my Dell has an HDMI out. If so, I'm set if I want to stream video from it too.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply