Multiple versions of SSDT on one workstation

• I recently did a series of data imports into SQL Server using the Import/Export Wizard in SSMS 2014, saving the dtx files for later adhoc use.  However, I am not able to open them in the version of SSDT I have because it is a version behind (based on VS2010 from the SQL2012 install package I believe).

I've downloaded the latest SSDT install, but I'd like to keep my existing SSDT install so I can develop for our SSIS instance, which is SQL2012.

Can the 2012 and latest version of SSDT coexist on the same workstation?

• Download Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition.  It's free.  Then get the SSDT download for it.  You can develop SSIS packages against SQL Server 2012, 2014, and 2016 all in one place.

• Arrg, We were recently instructed to install Visual Studio 2017 Pro, which doesn't have support for SSIS (yet)...

• I have VS 2008, 2012 and 2016 installed on my PC at the office and have no problems. Yes i mainly use 2016 now, but they all had their respective SSDT installs and didn't break each other. I still have to use 2008 as the 2008 server is off site and a separate child company, who haven't updated to a latter VS version

Just remember, once you upgrade a package/project to a latter version you can't go backwards.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Wait!  I thought I read that the current version of SSDT can develop for SQL 2005, 2008 and 2012 Integration Server instances.

Is that not true?  Do we need multiple versions if we have older versions of IS running?

• dan-572483 - Monday, April 24, 2017 11:27 AM

Wait!  I thought I read that the current version of SSDT can develop for SQL 2005, 2008 and 2012 Integration Server instances.

Is that not true?  Do we need multiple versions if we have older versions of IS running?

It can yes, but if you create a project (for 2008) in VS2015 you cannot open it in VS2008.

Edit: Also, a project create in a prior version will go through a "one way upgrade", in which the project will be made compliant with the newer version of Visual Studio. Once the "upgrade" has been completed it cannot be opened in the older VS. This is why I still have to use VS2008, as our child company hasn't updated to VS 2015 as yet. If i were to open the VS 2008 project in 2015 it would be upgraded, and they would be unable to use it without installing VS 2015.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I found the answer to my question.  Yes, in SSDT 2015 you can set the Project properties down to SQL 2012, which means you can deploy to a SQL 2012 Integration Services instance (or SQL2014/2016 if you set the property that way).  If you have a SQL 2008R2 or lower IS instance you still need to keep your older version of BIDS.    I tested this scenario this morning and successfully ran an import job that was created in the SQL2014 Import/Export Wizard, edited in SSDT 2015, Deployment Target Version set to 2012 and deployed to a 2012 SSIS instance.

BTW if you so open an older dtsx in a newer version of SSDT by mistake, you can close without saving and avoid any damage.

How to set the set the TargetServerVersion in SSDT 2015

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply