Multiple SQL version support

• I could not figure out how to google an answer for my issue. I am hoping someone can help me here.

I am a lazy programmer first off and I have a small hard drive. Management wants to support every version of SQL that comes out it seems. Even though I have to program for compatibility at 2008.

I need these versions on my machine so when customer DB's come in I have the ability to keep them in the version they currently are in.

Since I just installed SQL 2014 Developer SP1 can I have one engine that will allow me to take and restore a 2008 db, back it up, and give it back to them in the 2008 format? This would also need to work for 2012. This way I could maintain one server vs three?

• Databases don't have backward compatibility. Once you restore or attach a database to a version of SQL Server, you can't restore it or attach it on a previous version.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I thought so....I was really hoping, but knew it was a long shot. Thanks for the quick reply

• Since I work for a Software development company, I have the issue where all development has to work for all versions of SQL Server with different OS's...

What I have done is set up multiple virtual machines to make sure that the development is supported by all SQL versions.

It is hell to setup, but once set, you're good to go... You'll need lot's of disk space and Memory 😉

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it... 😎

• I am in pretty much the same place. I have to verify each version and then if things happen in customer locations I have to get the DB's to repair them.

After this post I talked to my manager about narrowing the versions we support since we have branches and should be able to force a migration.

• JKSQL (8/20/2015)

I am in pretty much the same place. I have to verify each version and then if things happen in customer locations I have to get the DB's to repair them.

After this post I talked to my manager about narrowing the versions we support since we have branches and should be able to force a migration.

Another option is to have multiple versions on the same machine in different instances. Would not recommend for production, and some shared items can get dicey, but you could have the following on one machine:

PCNAME\SQL2008

PCNAME\SQL2012

PCNAME\SQL2014

PCNAME\SQL2016

Leave them all as Manual Start for the services, and start them up as needed.

• That is basically what I have.

SQL2008Dev

SQL2012Dev

SQL2014Dev

It is organized, but I have issues with my scripts. I have made an installer that runs scripts to build DBs for different regions. I have to be careful because they all share C:SQLData\. The scripts blow up if I create on one version and then test on another version without removing the original. Also just space in general becomes an issue. I only have a 250 gb hd and only have about 60 gb free. Once I put the DBs on there it is 20. We also just upgraded to VS 2013...What a space hog that is. I just need a new machine with a terabyte. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply