multiple mdf, ndf files in the same filegroup

• I inherited a db that has 2 index ndbs and 2 data files (1 mdb, 1 ndb of course). Both indexes and the ldf are on a raid 1 array and both data on the same raid 5 array.

Is there any advantage to having multiple files of the same type on the same filegroup on the same array/channel?

Maybe this makes future growth easier?

• No real advantage.

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/9/2009)

No real advantage.

there are benefits to have multiple files, even in the same file group. depends on your database setup. if the database uses partioning, it can make a difference. you can have multiple read/write operation against the databases, but being actioned against different files, so the I/O's are targeted against the respective files. I know it is the same volume as such, but it can make a difference. Similiar in a way to, how tempdb is recommended to be split into multiple files, 1:1 based on number of cpu's, purely to allow 1 cpu, 1 dedicated tempb file. there are other reasons as well, but these are some of the easiest to explain

A lot of it depends on your setup. to be honest, size of database play a part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply