Multi-Environment Deployments Using Team Edition for Database Professi

• SCOTT!

That's a really hard problem, as I'm sure you're aware. I don't have a good answer. You should start a new thread. You might also consider posting that question to Social.msdn.microsoft, the DBPro forum.

I am aware of another team that's trying to solve the problem of managing databases through ERStudio. They're having a very hard time of it too. I just think it's a poor choice of tool for managing deployments. Embarcadero tools, damned fine tools, are built to support multiple environments, but they don't support any single environment, such as SQL Server, terribly well.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hey there Grant! Thank you for the reply and pointing to the DBPro forum - I will give that as shot as well.

This is a show stopper, to some degree. There is a preconcieved notion that the modeling tool should drive all schema changes. Aside from the fact of domains and a nice picture it is really compounding the problems with deployments. Not to say the modeling tools are to blame for deployment issues, but this is standing in the way of resolving some common build and deployment problems. And the worse part is there are better ways and one of them is implementing Declarative Database Development using Team Edition for Database Professionals.

• While I realize that good carpenters don't blame their tools & all that... but when a carpenter is being told he has to drive nails with a coping saw... can he complain about it then? I'd say yes.

This is the same situation. Yes, the tool can sort of do what you need, but not terribly well, and it's not it's primary purpose, and the gap between it's purpose and the use you're putting it to is pretty large.

Good luck with the coping saw.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply