mssqlsystemresource database version doesnt match service pack

• I recently had a problem with setting up database mail on a fairly new SQL CLustered Instance.

Investigation into this problem led me to discover that my mssqlsystemresource database is not up to the same version as the rest of my instance.

When I run :

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ResourceVersion') as ResourceDB,

SERVERPROPERTY('ResourceLastUpdateDateTime') as ResourceDBLastUpdate

, SERVERPROPERTY('productlevel') as Servicepack

My results are:

resourcedb resourcedblastupdate servicepack

9.00.1399 2005-10-14 01:56:22.007 SP3

select @@version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (X64) Nov 24 2008 16:17:31 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

Windows server 2008 enterprise x64 sp2

SQL 2005 enterprise x64

I have repeatedly reapplied SP3 successfully but my resource db does not seem to update.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Mark

• I have resolved this issue.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlserverfaq/archive/2009/03/16/unable-to-create-maintenance-plans-after-service-pack-2-is-applied-on-sql-server-2005-fail-over-cluster-instance-running-on-windows-2008-cluster.aspx

One of my nodes was registered lowercase ex sever11 versus SERVER11.

Coincindentally all attempts to apply SP3 to "ACTIVE" node was on this node.

The install sees the "ACTIVE" node as Passive because of the lowercase and the system databases never get updated.

Luckily my other node was uppercase so I failed instances over and ran SP3 and my system databases are now updated.

Regards,

Mark

• We've encountered this issue as well.

Hopefully MS will fix this bug in the next SP.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply