MSDTC error after upgrading to Sql 2005

• One of our application is failing with the below error after upgrading to SQl 2005. this was working in 2000. Please let me know if anyone is aware of such DTC issue.

Msg 3970, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

This operation conflicts with another pending operation on this transaction. The operation failed.

-SNT

• Have you checked the account that it is running under? I had several problems and found that the account was running under the local services account instead of the NT/Network Authority account. Once I changed this my server has worked just fine. Not sure if this is your problem or not because it is not exactly the same error; however, it may be part of the problem.

• are you using XA drivers?

• thanks for the reply.

yes, I am using NT/Network Authority account

--SNT

• if this is between 2 sql servers try to set DTC to run under a domain account that has SQL rights on each server

idiot auditors said we had to get rid of linked servers and use DTC for inter-SQL communication. morons go by some checklist that is years old and out of date

• XA transaction is enabled in the MS DTC security

• 1. what is the version on linked server? both are on same build(SQL 2005 SP2?)

2. Are you able to reproduce it? Do you have small sample?

3. Are you using Truncate table over linked server?

• I have the same error, below is a small sample to reproduce it (both servers are MS SQL 2005 SP2).

It looks like 'insert' and 'drop' operations joint together and I can't drop table after I've inserted new records to it.

Though it works on MS SQL 2000 SP4.

----------------------------------

set xact_abort on

begin tran

execute roinormalize.master.dbo.sp_executesql N'create table roinormalize.dbo.linkedtest (id int)'

GO

insert into roinormalize.roinormalize.dbo.linkedtest (id) select 1

execute roinormalize.master.dbo.sp_executesql N'drop table roinormalize.dbo.linkedtest'

commit tran

----------------------------------

• Hi Andy, Did you get any solution for this?

If you keep DDL and DML in seperate transaction then it works.

Please let me know if you have got any fix.

Thanks in advance

--SNT

• Sntiwary, I haven't found any solution yet.

As an alternative in my case I can pull data to the temp table on the linked server instead pushing it to the linked server from the source server. But it's not the best solution for me and I'm still looking for an alternative way.

Please let me know if you found any resolution.

• Hi Andy,

If you seperate your DDL and DML transaction then it works. Not sure if there is any fix for this post SP2 release since this was working in SQL 2000 and my current SQL server is 2005 with SP2

set xact_abort on

begin tran

execute roinormalize.master.dbo.sp_executesql N'create table roinormalize.dbo.linkedtest (id int)'

GO

commit tran

Begin tran

Go

commit tran

Begin tran

execute roinormalize.master.dbo.sp_executesql N'drop table roinormalize.dbo.linkedtest'

commit tran

Thanks/SNT

• Hi Andy,

If you seperate your DDL and DML transaction then it works. Not sure if there is any fix for this post SP2 release since this was working in SQL 2000 and my current SQL server is 2005 with SP2

set xact_abort on

begin tran

GO

commit tran

Begin tran

Go

commit tran

Begin tran

commit tran

Thanks/SNT

• Hi, sntiwary !

Thanks for a suggestion but it doesn't solve the issue because in this case there is no point in transactions. I want to put inside transaction creation of a table, insert and drop operations. And it works for a local server.

For example:

begin tran

create table t (id int)

insert into t (id) values (1)

drop table t

commit tran

It works. But I can't make it work for a linked server.

• Hi Andy,

This is bug in sql 2005 and same thing has been resolved in SQL 2008

thanks

Shriniwas

• Hi Andy,

This is bug in SQL 2005 which has been fixed in SQL 2008.

Thanks

SNT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply