MS SQL 2005 Express

• I can't seem to find out how many separate databases each instance of MS SQL 2005 Express can have. I see the standard version and above can have 32,767 databases but cannot find anything definitive for the Express version.

• 4 GB maximum database size, but there is no limit on the number of databases you can use in Express.

Having said that, I would based my use not in how many database I can put, but how much my system can handle in terms of memory. Honestly, I have never seen a MS-SQL instance in a production with more than 20 databases. For testing I must say, 5 or 10 should be enough for you to play.

• jocampo (6/18/2009)

Honestly, I have never seen a MS-SQL instance in a production with more than 20 databases. For testing I must say, 5 or 10 should be enough for you to play.

Is that simultaneous users in separate databases?

• Hi Richard

What I mean is that for one MS-SQL instance, you should validate the max db numbers in terms of server and RAM capabilities; of course, user connections plays a role there as well. Again, you can create unlimited databases inside Express, but what's the practical use of that? 😉 .... if you really want to play and learn, 5 or 10 databases should be enough. And like I said, the max size is limited to 4GB.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply