moving sql server 2008 DB to 2005?

• hey all.

I have started building an application at home in .NET..using sql server 2008. I am hoping that once im finished to take my application to work and set it up there to help me with my day to day work. However, at work they use sql server 2000 and 2005. Is there any publishing wizards or anything that will create scripts or something so I can transfer the database from 2008 to 2000/2005? I would want to take schema as well as data. Or only schema if it wasnt possible to transfer data.

I currently use "SQL Server DATABASE publishing wizard", but it only does 2000 - 2005 and vice versa.

Cheers.

• It would probably be easier if you installed 2005 express at home and used that. To get a 2008 DB to 2005 you'll need to script the schema out and then bcp all of the data out. You can use the import/export wizard to do that. Also you have to be careful not to use any 2008-specific features.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • thanks for reply.

So I can script out the whole schema, and it would be fine to run in 2005? I dont think ill be using any 2008 specific features, as I Am not doing anything different to how I normally build them in 2005 etc etc, infact the only reason I installed 2008, is due to getting a free copy from microsoft...whereas if i wanted 2005 I would need to pay! And if I install the express edition then I cant use some of my plugins which dont seem to like express!

• When you generate the script, you can specify what version you want the script to target.

If cost is the concern, consider the 180 day trial of SQL 2005, or consider picking up developer edition ($50 for full enterprise features)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • $50 for dev edition? thats a lot less than i was expecting actually! i may look into that! that should be about £25 - £30 here...

cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply