moving OLAP data

• Hi,

I know you can move olap data by just changing the data directory under properties in SSAS, stopping SSAS, moving files and restarting.

However, as part of a disk migration I need to move my olap data to another drive with a different letter.

My question is under \..\olap there is not only the data directory but the bin and config directories, can those two directories also just be moved and SSAS restart quite happily?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I must ask the wrong questions or the right questions badly 🙂

Anyway the answer is you cannot just move the bin and config directories, it would require a reinstall.

This is on a server I inherited and its been mucked about with a lot over the years and it turns out having the bin directory with the data was just coincidence. The bin directory is installed wherever you specify for analysis services in the advanced options of the setup program, and the analysis services data folder wherever you specify for that.

So as part of a server rebuild I have separated these out and made sure the data folder is on the correct drive letter I require on completion of the disk migration.

Hope this helps someone in the future

• Dear George,

I guess I'm facing the same scenario as I need to move the OLAP data to another directory, actually another drive due to disk space issues. I tried to edit the path in the properties via right click on the top node when connecting to Analysis services in SQL Management Studio > as a result under the new directory a bin was created with some other folders and SSAS related files, but in the process the analysis database was lost and i had no longer administrator permissions on analysis. So my question is there any other valid way to change the original path?

Regards,

Samer

• we no longer have Analysis services (hurrah) having replaced it with Qlikview, but did you stop SSAS, move the 0.db directories to the new location and restart.

amending the data folder via SSMS is the correct way to do it

• I changed the directory without stopping the service prior doing so, a services restart was requested after i did the change afterwhich i lost my permissions as admin and the database was gone...

• gone from SSAs or physically from the drive?

• george sibbald (9/22/2011)

we no longer have Analysis services (hurrah) having replaced it with Qlikview, but did you stop SSAS, move the 0.db directories to the new location and restart.

amending the data folder via SSMS is the correct way to do it

What was wrong with SSAS or better with Qlikview?

• it was Gone From SSAS ie. no longer under the Databases node (it was the only db under the databases node)

Note that currently I have 2 sets of files which I presume are identical; 1 under C:\...MSOLAP.. the other under D:\... (the new directory), could this be a reason of why the database and/or permissions were lost? since the files were copied not moved!

• SSAS I was responsible for, Qlikview I'm not, less work for me! 😉

Users decision to move to Qlikview, so they must prefer it.

• smecharrafie (9/22/2011)

it was Gone From SSAS ie. no longer under the Databases node (it was the only db under the databases node)

Note that currently I have 2 sets of files which I presume are identical; 1 under C:\...MSOLAP.. the other under D:\... (the new directory), could this be a reason of why the database and/or permissions were lost? since the files were copied not moved!

shouldn't do. IIRC the cubes need to be regenerated in SSAS. As for your admin rights, not sure I am afraid.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply