moving msdb and model databases

• I was in the process of moving my model and msdb database files using the detach db stored procedure. I got an error during the attach db process stating that connection has been broken which led me to to again start the services. After that i attached the msdb and model database to the new location now the whe i try to change the startup parameter it doesnt allow me to do so and givesw error that connection has been s. Now, the server will start,but I can't connect to the server(a broken connection error). is there any way to get around this problem.

• You can't move using detach/attache method...read the following article and follow the directions...

Msdb can be moved using restore method and make sure sql agent is offline when you restore msdb...

How to move SQL Server databases to a new location by using Detach and Attach functions in SQL Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I USED THE SAME PROCEDURES AS SPECIFIED BY YOU IN THE ARTICLE ,IN BETWEEN I WAS GETTING THE ERRORS THAT SQL CONNECTION WAS BROKEN ,SO IN THAT CASE I HAVE TO START SQL SERVER SERVICES,NOW THE PROBLEM IS THAT MODEL AND MSDB WERE MOVED TO THE NEW DESTINATION ,BUT WHEN I TRIED TO REMOVED -T3608 FROM START UP PARAMETERS IT IS NOT ALLOWING ME TO DO SO STATING THAT CONNECTION IS BROKEN.

• Start the server with the parameters /f /T3608, then, run this:

ALTER DATABASE mssqlsystemresource MODIFY FILE (NAME=data, FILENAME='x:\myDir\mssqlsystemresouce.mdf');

GO

ALTER DATABASE mssqlsystemresource MODIFY FILE (NAME=log, FILENAME='y:\myDir\mssqlsystemresouce.ldf');

GO

Reference the following link:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408.aspx

• CHEERS ,

BUT ACCORDING TO ME WAT U SAID IS VALID FOR SQL2005,IS IT POSSIBLE IN SQL 2000 ALSO,I DOUBT IT.

NE WAYS NE ONE TO HELIP ME OUT FROM THIS CATASTROPHE

REGARDS VIVEK

• It is also good for SQL 2000. I did it before.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply