Moving from 2000 to 2005 on a different box

• I have a group of db's on Server A and Server B that I want to move to Server C.

Server A is a Windows 2003 machine at a third party site that has to remain up all the time. It's running SQL 2000.

Server B is a Windows 2003 machine at a third party site that has to remain up all the time. It's running SQL 2005.

Server C is our SQL 2005 cluster here in our data warehouse.

I am trying to move most of our stuff from Servers A&B to C so we can move away from hosting our SQL there.

I tried the following scenario just now and got an error. On Server A, I backed up one of the larger db's and moved it to the active machine in our cluster's S drive. I went into 2005, hit restore db, and added the .bak file I had created from Server A. I got the following error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express

------------------------------

Restore failed for Server 'sqlprodcluster'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Restore+Server&LinkId=20476

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Cannot use file 'I:\MSSQL\DATA\Cypress_APP_Data.MDF' for clustered server. Only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used. Either the disk resource containing the file is not present in the cluster group or the cluster resource of the Sql Server does not have a dependency on it. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.Smo)

Several things come to mind.

The I Drive is where Server A creates it's nightly backup, it's a SANDrive.

I'm not creating a MDF file, it's a bak file as far ask I know.

Any ideas?

• 'I:\MSSQL\DATA\Cypress_APP_Data.MDF' is the path for the data file on "Server A" you have to specify WITH MOVE in your restore.

If you are using the Management Studio dialog, you have to change the file path for your data and log files in the dialog. In a cluster, these drives must be included in the cluster resource group.

• I didn't even look at the options dialog stuff. I changed it to the directory I had attached to the cluster and bang zoom, we're off and running.

Thanks so much.:D

• Easy mistake to make. The backups will alway try to restore back to their old location (same withh attaching as well).

One more thing, ensure to move any SQL2K5 or SQL2K logins with the revlogin script. It is no good just re-creating as your databases probley refernce the old SID's. 😎

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply