Move partition DB with large number of file-group to another disk.

• Hello,

We are in transition with a vendor to handover SQL server from their domain to our domain. While doing the health check, I found they have one 1 DB with 2200 file-group (Partition DB) and it's on C drive. DB is only 60 GB big. Now, i wanted to move the DB from C drive to dedicated SQL data drive. What would be the best way to move partition DB with such a large number of file-group? Any immediate response will be greatly appreciated.

• That seems like a lot for a 60gb dB. That said the most I have migrated was around 30 file groups per database. I simply restored a backupof the said database and specified the location of each file group during the restore process.  When restoring you simply specify where you want the file groups to reside.

As long as you have made sure that the default folder locations for data represent the new volume you have added you should be able to specify to use the default location which should set all file group locations to the new sql data drive when the restore process starts.

Thats my 2 cents anyway hope it goes well for you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply