Move both data and log file to another Drive/disk ??

• Hi all,

I have a question , imagine a server that we didn't implement it as standard and now we want to move it's file to other drives to make it better , but the problem is the server files are around 4 TB !!

i wanna connect another SSD disk to the box online and i am looking for a method to move these 4 TB database location to the new SSD disks , without down time !!!! yes the problem is that this is a production server and downtime is huge for us ! , or do you have anything in mind with a min downtime ????

by the way log shipping is also enable on this box

Thanks,

M

• My opinion is that this kind of work is good do during some breaktime or maintenance time in that case something happen or your work is 24/7 ?

Check if these files are really about 4TB or they are only allocated and you can shrink for moving.

And I think you have two options

(1) You can backup and restore your database; by using the WITH MOVE options you can relocate files.

(2) You can detach your database, move the database files to the desired location, re-attach the database

• backup /restore and detach-move-attach will almost take same amout of time... If you have alwayson enabled(I guess you may have as you posted the question in SQL2012 forum) then things are very easy.

break the replica if its already there

move files for secondary replica

enable/setup alwayson in a sync status

Failover to the secondary replica(where you have done with moving of files)

again break replica

move files for primary replica

enable/setup alwayson in a sync status

Failover to the primary replica(where you have done with moving of files)

• Maybe setup a new properly architect-ed box and utilize log shipping, mirroring, or both to minimize your downtime.

To answer you original question. Can you move/copy your files and keep them online (which is how I read it), the answer is no.

• Thanks!!

• monamym (2/28/2016)

Hi all,

I have a question , imagine a server that we didn't implement it as standard and now we want to move it's file to other drives to make it better , but the problem is the server files are around 4 TB !!

i wanna connect another SSD disk to the box online and i am looking for a method to move these 4 TB database location to the new SSD disks , without down time !!!! yes the problem is that this is a production server and downtime is huge for us ! , or do you have anything in mind with a min downtime ????

by the way log shipping is also enable on this box

Thanks,

M

is the database one large data file or many smaller files?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply