Monitoring database connections

• First of all thanks for all the great solutions posted on SQLServerCentral! 🙂

The problem I have is: I need to monitor database connections of users who connect to a reporting database using a reporting tool via a connection made to the production database.

The report writer has written queries that reference the reporting db i.e. 'select * from reportingdb.dbo.table' from a ODBC connection to the production system. This makes it hard to identify who is using the reporting db and who is using the production db (because they all use a connection to the production db).

I can solve this using a separate file DSN but at the moment that is not feasible and I wanted to know if anyone out here knew of a way (or tool) that could monitor connections that come from other databases? I'm running SQL 7.

Thanks!

Thomas

• I don't think there is anything. You could develop some audit item if you switched to stored procedures that would capture the spid.

Profiler will do this, but that might be cumbersome.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Profiler will probably be your best bet, you can limit to audit connections login and filter for a specifc database in addition to collecting appilcation (if it supplies it's name), login and several other items. The only problem is it can degrade performance a bit.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply