Money

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Money

• In regards to the explanation of the answer, 'precision' normally means the total number of significant digits (at least in Math-world). Not just the fractional part, but the whole number.

Anyone else think this?

• I agree. "Precision" is the number of digits capable of being stored by the data type. Whereas "Scale" is the number of digits right of the decimal point.

Easy mistake to make though.... which is why I got the answer right. 😉

Cheers,
    - Mark

• It is a good question though. You'd assume the data type that uses more bytes for storage would have a greater 'precision' both ways of the decimal point.

Strange thing, I work in a financial institution and the money datatypes are never used. It's either char strings or floats :unsure:

• Technically, the two data types have different precisions, but the same scale.

[font="Arial Narrow"](PHB) I think we should build an SQL database. (Dilbert) What color do you want that database? (PHB) I think mauve has the most RAM.[/font]

• Aam (1/12/2009)

It is a good question though. You'd assume the data type that uses more bytes for storage would have a greater 'precision' both ways of the decimal point.

Strange thing, I work in a financial institution and the money datatypes are never used. It's either char strings or floats :unsure:

I work in financials also, and we need greater precision than what money can give us. Standard we use numeric(25,12). I think money is more used in bookkeeping than in banking systems.

Ronald HensbergenHelp us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/-------------------------------------------------------------------------2+2=5 for significant large values of 2

• idea of the question is very but as for many users say it is better to use "scale" to clear the question.

• changed the answer to say decimal points. That should avoid confusion.

• The only real answer would be "Neither". . .

The rest of your answer is just presenting more detailed support and the reasoning behind the above answer.

How about:

"Neither, they both have the same number of decimal places."

They are "Misleading" questions, since they explicitly imply that there is an actual "money data type" for the answer. Fact, there is no "real" answer.

Mr. Logic

• I guess I must be getting the hang of scoring points questions of the day at last. I deliberately selected the incorrect answer that I guessed the question's poser would have claimed was correct, and my guess was right so I got my point for choosing the right wrong answer.

In point of fact money has 19 decimal places - 15 to the left of the point and 4 to the right. smallmoney has only 10 decimal places: 6 to the left of the decimal point and 4 to the right. 19 is not the same as 10.

Maybe I'm getting a bit pedantic in my old age?

Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply