Missing Text Data

• Thank you to everyone that read my response yesterday. Also Thank you to the guys that gave great comments. I used that code, slightly tweeked and everything worked fine.

Today I have a very similar situation, only today I am dealing with missing text data, not numeric data.

DECLARE @MissingTextData TABLE

(

RowID int

,UserID int

, EmailAddress varchar(20)

,StreetAddress varchar(20)

)

DECLARE @GoodTextData TABLE

(

RowID int

,UserID int

, EmailAddress varchar(20)

,StreetAddress varchar(20)

)

INSERT INTO @MissingTextData

SELECT 1,66886907,NULL, '123 Main Street' UNION ALL

SELECT 2,66886907,'MSlade@company.com', NULL

INSERT INTO @GoodTextData

SELECT 1,66886907,'MSlade@company.com', '123 Main Street'

SELECT * FROM @MissingTextData

SELECT * FROM @GoodTextData

I would like to fill in the NULL columns with data from the other row, and then select the one row that is filled with all data. I was able to use MAX() for a numeric value, but I am really stumped on the text data. Everything that I have tried is not working.

I greatly appreciate all your assistance, comments and suggestions. No, this is not homework. I am a little too old to be doing homework. I am working some code for my work.

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

• Actually, MAX can be used in this case to eliminate NULL values, as well; since NULL represents unknown data, using MAX eliminates NULL, as the MAX is either a NULL if the column is only NULL, or actual text data if it's anything that isn't NULL:

SELECT 1,userid,MAX(emailaddress),MAX(StreetAddress)

FROM @MissingTextData

GROUP BY UserID

This will handle things in your test case, but again, if there's variance in the data (like a single UserID having multiple email or street addresses), this won't work. If that's the case, a more fluid solution can be developed if expanded sample data is provided 🙂

- 😀

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply