migrating SQL Server 6.5 to 2000

• Hello,

I need the steps to migrate a database from 6.5 to 2000. I tried different ways as:

1. DTS but I can´t find DTS on 6.5

2. I don't have problems to migrate the structure of the database but when I wnat to migrate the data with BCP I can´t find the way to make a file with all the data of all the tables. I have to make a bcp for every table. My bcp doesn't supports bcp "select * from ..db..." queryout file.txt -T says that queryout is not ok.

3. Other way I think is something like switch but I don't know how it works.

If I insert the CD of SQLSERVER 2000 on a db sql server 6.5 version it doesn't give me the chance to upgrade easy the version to 2000?

There are any other way to pass the data between the two versions?

Thanks in advance.

JAIME

• DTS started with SQL 7. Running the SQL2K setup should give you the option to upgrade. I did the upgrade from 6.5 to 7.0 using the MS wizard, worked fine. Much less work than BCP. You "could" DTS the data/schema using SQL2K to get it from SQL65, but you're just doing what the wizard would do the hard way.

Andy

• We have both SQL 7 and SQL2000 servers going here. When I need to get SQL2000 databases to SQL7 (which is the other way around) I have found it much simpler to use the SQL2000 installation server's dts transfer sql objects dts built in task. It will pull everything you want. The only thing I have run into is if 'it' chooses some tables 'out of order' I may have to set up a dts exec sql task to add the constraints missed. That is a whole lot easier than going one by one.

My 2 cents...

• DTS started with SQL 7. Running the SQL2K setup should give you the option to upgrade. I did the upgrade from 6.5 to 7.0 using the MS wizard, worked fine. Much less work than BCP. You "could" DTS the data/schema using SQL2K to get it from SQL65, but you're just doing what the wizard would do the hard way.

Andy

Thanks a lot, I tried to use DTS export/import wizard on SQL2K but on Data Source I can´t find something like 'ms sql 6.5' or something similar. The most similar is "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL SERVER" but when I try to connect to the server it says that "sql server does not exist or access denied". I use windows authentication... maybe it's the problem.

I'm a beginner (as you can see) and when you say that I can use the MS Wizard where it's located on SQL2K bacause I can't find that wizard on the list!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Jaime

• I'd recommend DTS, but I used this with SQL 7 early on in its life.

Script out all objects from v6.5 (EM does this)

Run script on new server

Had script to BCP out all tables. Each to separate text file.

Had script to BCP in all tables from said text files.

Repeat for each db.

NOTE this does not move jobs, which may need to be created manually.

If you want, I can post the scripts.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• quote:

I'd recommend DTS, but I used this with SQL 7 early on in its life.

Script out all objects from v6.5 (EM does this)

Run script on new server

Had script to BCP out all tables. Each to separate text file.

Had script to BCP in all tables from said text files.

Repeat for each db.

NOTE this does not move jobs, which may need to be created manually.

If you want, I can post the scripts.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

yes please Steve,

could you post me the script BCP in/out to backup in 1 file all tables of each database because I can`t. I have to make a bcp for every table. I make in the prompt: bcp "select * from ..db..." queryout file.txt -T says that queryout is not ok.

JAIME

dba_sqlserver@grupoiberostar.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply