Migrating 2008 (w/Filestream data) to 2017

• I am migrating databases from SQL Server 2008 to 2017. I have used backup and restore for some of them with success. I have a couple that contain Filestream data.

I am having trouble with these. When I attempt the restore on 2017 I get a 'FILESTEAM is disabled' message.

When I create the database first with Filestream implemented and try to restore I get a message that backup being used does not match the database.

I have also tried 'Restore Files and Filegroups' with similar problems.

• i think the issue is that on your new SQL2017 server, you must enable Filestream at the server level in SQL Configuration manager first.

then filestream would be supported. also, i think the fileshare has to be the same name? i am not sure if you can remap it int eh restor eoptions the same way you can for mdf/ldf.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• My SQL Server Configuration Manager Filestream Properties are all enabled as per your example above and as far as I know I'm using the same names for the fileshare and every other reference. It is being stored on a different drive (E instead of F). Is there any other way I can get this database transferred to the new version?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply