Migrate from AWS SQL Server RDS to EC2

• Hello,

I could not find any documentation on how to migrate SQL server RDS to an EC2 instance. I have a requirement to migrate a large DB to ec2. Can anyone help me with the steps to migrate the DB with low downtime, please?

Thanks in advance

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I have a MySQL server (with size around 3TB and more) that I need to migrate to aws. The main purpose of shifting to aws is to build API services. These are the options that can be used for conversion. My question is that what do I convert it to which will be the most suitable for building API services in the future (and the reason) ? Should the target database on RDS be MySQL, postresql, Amazon Aurora or Amazon Redshift?

Official Website

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Edwina.
  • I don't see a lot on this. Most of the articles and references are to RDS, not away.

EC2 is really a VM, so this is a migration from RDS to a standalone SQL Server. Really, I think this is an ETL job, though it does appear that you can access the log files, and I assume, backups: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_LogAccess.Concepts.SQLServer.html

What I might aim to do here is some homemade log shipping. You can get backups (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/SQLServer.Procedural.Importing.html), so I might take one, then start taking and downloading logs. Restore those on your EC2 instance, and when you are close to catching up on restores in real time, stop the RDS instance from getting connections, get the last log backup, restore on EC2, point clients to EC2.

• Edwina wrote:

I have a MySQL server (with size around 3TB and more) that I need to migrate to aws. The main purpose of shifting to aws is to build API services. These are the options that can be used for conversion. My question is that what do I convert it to which will be the most suitable for building API services in the future (and the reason) ? Should the target database on RDS be MySQL, postresql, Amazon Aurora or Amazon Redshift?

Please don't ask questions in an existing topic. Start a new one.

• Thanks Steve.I will test this. How about the logins & permissions? I couldn't use sp_help_revlogin to extract logins with the same password on RDS

• I think logins are an issue. IIRC, you can't get access to master, correct?

Good security practice would be a reset periodically for users, so I might just use this as a chance to enforce that.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply