Migrate from 6.5 to 2000

• Hi everybody !

My topic is divided in two questions:

a) I'm planning to migrate some 6.5 databases to a single 2000 server, and I'm worried if setting backward compatible level to 6.5 will make my procedures work without MANY modifications. Are there anything not related to administration / backup / configuration that is needed to change in the code ?

b) In another scenario, I need to migrate and consolidate several 6.5 databases to a new 2000 server, but I couldn't stop the 6.5 server more than a few minutes :(. If I use any method from Microsoft (Wizard, DTS, whatever), the time needed to do this operation will be larger than I can afford.

I'm thinking about replicate the 6.5 database to 2000, and then break the replication and use the 2000 server as the primary server. Is it possible ? In other words, replicate a 6.5 database to a 2000 database, and then break the replication and make 2000 server the main server ?

Thanks 4 your help.

Carlos Eduardo

Brazil

• As far as I know there are the following issues:

Some system tables are gone or changed. If you application does not access them directly you will have no problem.

There are more reserved words. If this is a problem it can be solved by setting the compatibility to 65.

The books online of 2000 have a chapter on the subject, "SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server version 6.5"

I cannot help you with b, sorry.

• Thanks Joaquim. Actually I'm checking all stored procedures for this kind of problem (direct access to system tables, use of reserved words of SQL 2000, and maintenance operations, like management of devices space, backups, user creation, eg.), and correcting / eliminating the problems.

Another subject that worries me is ANSI NULL settings, because only GOD knows how developers threat their code in the application, but I think that would not be so hard to check.

Yesterday I tried replication between 6.5 and 2000, and worked fine. I put the distributor and subscriber in 2000, and just the publisher in 6.5. It's a bit difficult to configure, because I needed to use a different Enterprise Manager for each version - I don't know if is possible, and how to administer a 6.5 server from a 2000 EM. 🙁

I think this could be a solution for my case.

[]s

Carlos

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply