Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456

• Hai,

I'm using SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition in my windows XP SP2 machine. I have only 1 server to which my 4 client machines are connected. Whenever I'm connecting to my SSMS using my domain account I get an error message indicating ' Login failed for user 'domain name\ account name '. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456). I have tried with Microsoft's KB Article ID: 889646 and all other kind of stuffs. It's not helping me to sort out this problem. Could anyone help me outta here.

• Check server's error log where a corresponding entry will be written.

The key to the message is the 'State' which the server will accurately set to reflect the source of the problem. The common error states and their descriptions are provided in the following table:

ERROR STATE ERROR DESCRIPTION

2 and 5 Invalid userid

6 Attempt to use a Windows login name with SQL

Authentication

7 Login disabled and password mismatch

8 Password mismatch

9 Invalid password

11 and 12 Valid login but server access failure

13 SQL Server service paused

18 Change password required

• vyas (11/22/2007)

Check server's error log where a corresponding entry will be written.

Is this the SQL Server log or the Windows Event Log?

[Edit: The messages appear in both logs, but the entries in the SQL Server Log appear to be the more meaningful]

• From http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic534163-359-1.aspx

state 16 = "default database not accessible"

• i am using SQL sever 2014, due to some driver problem the server OS got disturbed and started throwing Blue screen dump. after few attempt, i have started the server into a safe mode and selected the option for "Load last known good configuration" and after that the server is started and i tried to recover the domain controller recovery also but somehow it was not able to repair. i have removed the domain and re-created the domain and everything went well no issue found. i was able to map the logon on service to account to SQL and working ok.

One issue i am facing is when i use the Windows Login in SQL server management studio connection, i was getting an error

the error message as follows.

cannot connect to domainname\sql instance

Additional information

Login failed for user domainname\Administrator (Microsoft SQL server, Error:18456)

i can able to login using SA login but only the issue on Windows Login for Administrator login id.

can you kindly help to get this corrected.

Thanks

• I seriously recommend raising this as a new question in the SQL 2014 section of this site. And please provide the full error codes (including the state), as this is where the really useful information is held.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Please find the below error details

Server Name: EBTNAV2013\MSSQL2014

Error Number: 18456

Severity: 14

State: 1

Line Number: 65536

-------------------------------------

===================================

Cannot connect to EBTNAV2013\MSSQL2014.

===================================

Login failed for user 'EBTNAV20130\Administrator'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

Server Name: EBTNAV2013\MSSQL2014

Error Number: 18456

Severity: 14

State: 1

Line Number: 65536

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

Hope the above details will meet your need for to analyze the error. If you need anything more details please let me know.

• State = 1 is the state reported back to / by the client app.

What does the server log say the State is for that error? That's the useful one.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply