Microservices, SOA and Service Broker

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Microservices, SOA and Service Broker

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• In a computing landscape that is increasingly post-Microsoft?

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv

• Though I have known about Service Broker since its initial release, I never had a reason or chance to work with it… until recently. I am trying to push myself up that learning curve quickly, and I can see the potential that you reference. I was wondering about the idea of using it combined with OData web service, to create something that you are describing in your editorial.

And speaking about Service Broker, why didn’t you guys kick off one of your “Stairway” series of articles? I found it had a stub, but no one wrote on the subject. Might I suggest you reach out to John Huang (http://www.sqlnotes.info/), he seems to have a really good handle on the subject, and may be talked into it.

Beer's Law: Absolutum obsoletum
    "if it works it's out-of-date"

• I have used MSMQ in the past and if you configure it properly and understand it then it is a fine technology. Like many technologies, if implementing MSMQ following the reading of white paper(s), which are often more marketing than technical in their details, then we are likely to fall foul of the hype.

I find this to be true for all technologies regardless of their origins i.e. this is not an exercies in Microsoft bashing but rather highlighting what I have found to be true of our industry.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• DEK46656 (3/22/2015)

Though I have known about Service Broker since its initial release, I never had a reason or chance to work with it… until recently. I am trying to push myself up that learning curve quickly, and I can see the potential that you reference. I was wondering about the idea of using it combined with OData web service, to create something that you are describing in your editorial.

And speaking about Service Broker, why didn’t you guys kick off one of your “Stairway” series of articles? I found it had a stub, but no one wrote on the subject. Might I suggest you reach out to John Huang (http://www.sqlnotes.info/), he seems to have a really good handle on the subject, and may be talked into it.

I would be very interested in such a series also.

• I passed on the request for a Service Broker Stairway to Steve and the rest of the team. I agree entirely, but the problem is in finding someone who would be prepared to write up a stairway series about Service Broker. They optimistically put up an initial page but the author they had in mind disappeared into the woodwork. Thanks for the suggestion for an author, I'm sure Steve will follow up with that.

I'm keen to learn more about it myself. I've had good experiences with it but I've only used it as a message queue within a single instance and I'm particularly intrigued about its use in an SOA. Service Broker has had several enhancements since its first release and this hasn't been well-documented

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Remus Rusanu[/url] also has a good handle on the subject.

Thanks...Chris

• I love Service Broker, it is a very fun method to do anything asynchronous (like setting up multi-threaded jobs). The only real problem with service broker is the myriad of errors that terminate transactions and require a rollback. These you have to manually code around and it is a long and laborious job to do. Then if you have to restore or detach a database... Service broker gets turned off by default rather than resuming.

Come on MS... step up and improve Service Broker!

• CGSJohnson (3/24/2015)

Remus Rusanu[/url] also has a good handle on the subject.

Agreed. I've been to his site a lot in my attempts to learn.

Beer's Law: Absolutum obsoletum
    "if it works it's out-of-date"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply