memory utilization sql server

• Hi Gurus,
    Must be a basic question, but the scenario is we have 96 GB memory , virtual machine SQL server and we allocated around 80 GB.

I was getting warnings of 95% memory utilization, so I reduced the max server memory to 70 GB then utilization came down to 88% , again after 2 weeks memory utilization is up to 95% , again I reduced max server memory to 65 GB.

Please suggest options to keep memory util at 85% so its optimal. this is a prod server with sql server 2014 enterprise ed.

Thank you

• sqlguy80 - Tuesday, October 30, 2018 10:40 AM

Hi Gurus,
    Must be a basic question, but the scenario is we have 96 GB memory , virtual machine SQL server and we allocated around 80 GB.

I was getting warnings of 95% memory utilization, so I reduced the max server memory to 70 GB then utilization came down to 88% , again after 2 weeks memory utilization is up to 95% , again I reduced max server memory to 65 GB.

Please suggest options to keep memory util at 85% so its optimal. this is a prod server with sql server 2014 enterprise ed.

Thank you

Ya it is a normal behavior, you can use Lock pages in memory to lock the SQL not to give back to OS. If you running on VM check reservation and ballooning.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply