Memory Conservation Threshhold

• I've noticed that sometimes a cubes is processed very slowly. Memory and processor use is low and it still takes forever, when the memory threshold is raised & moved to a different pc it is much much quicker suggesting the threshhold is the root of the problem? If so does anyone know any kind of rule of thumb for specifying what the threshhold should be or is trial and error? Our customers will have large differences in the number of records in the cubes so presumably memory use will vary too.

Phil Nicholas

• You may want to read the section called "Memory Settings" from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/anservog.mspx#ETAA

• Thanks thats a very handy article describing how the memory threshold works & the repurcussions of not having enough memory. I'd be interested if anyone out there knows of an algrithm to calculate how much memory it might need to process a cube, probably quite a complex thing to do I would guess. Short of that I'll have to specify an additional 2Gb for analysis services and hope for the best as there are too many factors involved to accurately estimate it, and each site will have to go on trial and error. Apparently windows takes 2Gb of the max 4Gb making only 2Gb available for most of users - nice. Heres the maximums for each edition of windows server:

Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 Professional and Server 4 GB

Windows 2000 Advanced Server 8 GB

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server 32 GB

Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 4 GB

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 32 GB

Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition 64 GB

Phil Nicholas

• You're relly talking about the process buffer size when looking at processing cubes.  Check out Appendix C in the same document for instructions on how to tune it - basic premise is to have no paging when processing (if possible).

re: your 4Gb in your server, you should be able to set the 3Gb switch in the boot.ini to allow applications to see this memory.  I think someone has posted on here previously regarding the use of this plus the PAE switch. 

Steve.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply