Measuring Career Growth

• that's great thought "Career Growth",

this gives me alert that, I have to sometime like this.

• I think that people measuring their career progression will occur in many different way. Whilst I enjoyed the story and its use as an analogy, I remember that career progress does not have a simple measure like height so can be documented in so many different ways.

It seems that many people say this or the equivalent: work out what you want to record and how you want to do it. Then do it.

Also do not be reticent about changing ones method of documentation e.g. if yesterday you achieved it by maintaining your CV on an annual basis but now you are thinking of blogging then change tack. Again, do it.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I did that. Well, almost. We lived in NJ from the time my girls were born until they were 2 and 6, then moved. I had marked their height on the trim around the utility room door. I had my husband replace that trim, so I could take the one with markings on it with us to KY. I Velcroed it to the utility room there and to the mudroom in Maine and now it is in our pantry. They are now 17 and almost 21! The traveling trim work will go wherever we do...

• Nice post, reminding us that it is important to know where we have been to help us know where we are going.

• Now that it is five years later since Tim has published this article, has he thought about writing a follow up on it?

• Mike, that's an excellent idea.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Love the story and the analogy. We often are discouraged and wonder strange things. However, if we remember where we came from and how far we have progressed, we will be encouraged. If we only look at the challenge before us and not our proven record we quaver.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Great post and excellent timing. I was recently inspired to try out blogging and I definitely see the benefits of writing about my work. Not only am I creating a historical record to measure by, I'm also pushing myself to improve by putting my ideas out into the public. Does it count as public if nobody reads it?

Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply