MDX SSAS Calculation - Contact Duration

• I have a problem with a measure in my cube. Please xcuse me, I am relatively fresh at maniupulating and designed cubes, but I have built one that is going to form the basis of our reports.

The elements I have an issue with are Contact Duration and Time. My data warehouse provides me a list of contacts and their total duration in seconds, which summed, is a measure in my cube. The problem is when I try to report from that measure in reporting services i'm getting some bizarre data. Lets say I want to, for example, have the total duration by type of contact by Month - that appears fine. However, when I want to produce the AVERAGE duration, I'm getting some strange results.

I think it's because, in reporting services it's not running an average for each day, or week in the month, it's averaging the month by itself. Is there a way of, perhaps creating a calculated member which always pulls back the granular information of call duration?

My dimension usage is set to use the most granular level of information... Help!!!

Thanks in advance.

JK

• if you can post your mdx I might be able to assist.

• The problem you are experiencing is due to the fact that in SSRS the dataset from the cube is imported as-is, and further used ïn a way similar to a table.

Your quickest way to solve your problem might be to calculate the average yourself in SSRS with a formula, something like =SUM(Field!Duration.Value) / COUNTDISTINCT(Field!Contact.value)

Peter Rijs
    BI Consultant, The Netherlands

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply