Master Database

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Master Database

• Nice question, and even better the first one to answer it correctly ... yea bragging ...... what the heck .....

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks Ron 🙂

As you know, Master DB is a basic thing to learn for everybody.. So I framed my first question this way.

• Good question Sudhir. Nice to see questions related to master database.

M&M

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• deleted

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Hi Adam,

Sorry but I do not see any valid objections.

Probably you are concerned about the sentence "The master database cannot participate in database mirroring".

"Master can't be mirrored" is right sentence, according to you. I would suggest you to refer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187837.aspx

Again, It was single choice question. and the answer was so obvious. though it seems little tricky.

I guess after referring the url and the explanation I tried, your anger would be soften.

Regards,

Sudhir

"Could you please elaborate what 'The master database cannot participate in database mirroring' actually means?

If it simply means that 'master' cant be mirrored, IT CANT! as the first line indicates.

If however you mean, tracking databases that are mirrored and endpoints etc, then your question is badly worded and misleading!

Sure i'll get flames for this but i am not the only DBA in my company mislead by this.

Adam Zacks

-------------------------------------------

Be Nice, Or Leave"

• i/we mis-read the question and reversed the logic.

Thats why i deleted my post.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• easy and nice question!!!!

[font="Times New Roman"]rfr.ferrari[/font]
    DBA - SQL Server 2008
    MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
    the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!
  • Thanks for the question on master database. "Please, sir, I want some more."

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thank you for the question.

At the risk of sounding cliche, I am pretty surprised that this many people are getting this wrong. I am especially surprised about the number of people who chose "SQL Server cannot start if the master database is unavailable". I am no master or expert, so I won't rant and rave about it, but I do hope the people who answered it incorrectly took the time to look into why their answer was incorrect. Knowing that SQL Server cannot start due to an unavailable master database is a pretty important thing to know.

Thanks again,

Matt

• Good question, thanks for the point.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• Great question. Even better for being your first one.

Very clear and easy to understand.

I even laughed when I read the "Log in as windows Administrator" bit.

Keep it up! 😎

• Mattrick (8/19/2011)

Thank you for the question.

At the risk of sounding cliche, I am pretty surprised that this many people are getting this wrong. I am especially surprised about the number of people who chose "SQL Server cannot start if the master database is unavailable". I am no master or expert, so I won't rant and rave about it, but I do hope the people who answered it incorrectly took the time to look into why their answer was incorrect. Knowing that SQL Server cannot start due to an unavailable master database is a pretty important thing to know.

Thanks again,

Matt

I have to post my agreement to this.

Knowing how to restore the Master Database from a backup can even save lives. :smooooth:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply