mark a table or view in a t-sql script, and open/browse this table/view via hotkey

• Hi,

is there a way to mark a table or view in a t-sql script, and open/browse this table/view via hotkey ?

maybe 3d-party-tool ... etc.

Thanks

Regards

Nicole

• yes, via keyboard shortcuts.

i take advantage of this so much, it's crazy. i have shortcuts to script the definition of the hightlighted object, select top 100 fromt hat object, and so much more.

here's a specific example:

create this stored procedure in master: note i'm marking it as a system object as well:

IF OBJECT_ID('[dbo].[sp_show]') IS NOT NULL

DROP PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_show]

GO

--#################################################################################################

--developer utility function added by Lowell, used in SQL Server Management Studio

--Purpose: Preview top 100 rows of a given table

--additional modification: fast count of rows if a TABLE or #Temp (no results on views)

--#################################################################################################

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_show

--USAGE: sp_show gmact

@TblName VARCHAR(128),

@Top INT = 100

--WITH ENCRYPTION

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(MAX)

IF LEFT(@TblName,1) = '#'

BEGIN

SELECT

ps.row_count AS TotalRows

FROM tempdb.sys.indexes AS i

INNER JOIN tempdb.sys.objects AS o

ON i.OBJECT_ID = o.OBJECT_ID

INNER JOIN tempdb.sys.dm_db_partition_stats AS ps

ON i.OBJECT_ID = ps.OBJECT_ID

AND i.index_id = ps.index_id

WHERE i.index_id < 2

AND o.is_ms_shipped = 0

AND o.object_id = OBJECT_ID('tempdb.dbo.' + RTRIM(@TblName)) ;

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SELECT

ps.row_count AS TotalRows

FROM sys.indexes AS i

INNER JOIN sys.objects AS o

ON i.OBJECT_ID = o.OBJECT_ID

INNER JOIN sys.dm_db_partition_stats AS ps

ON i.OBJECT_ID = ps.OBJECT_ID

AND i.index_id = ps.index_id

WHERE i.index_id < 2

AND o.is_ms_shipped = 0

AND o.object_id = OBJECT_ID(RTRIM(@TblName)) ;

END

SET @cmd = 'SELECT TOP ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR,@Top) + ' * FROM ' + QUOTENAME(@TblName) + ' ORDER BY 1 DESC '

EXEC(@cmd)

END

GO

--Mark as a system object

EXECUTE sp_ms_marksystemobject 'sp_show'

GRANT EXECUTE ON dbo.sp_show TO PUBLIC;

Next, In SSMS, go to Tools>>Options>>Keyboard>>Query Shortcuts

following my example, under Ctrl+6, just copy the name of the procedure sp_show

now, in a new tab, open up a script: highlight a table or viewname and click control+6

SSMS will execute the procedure with the highlighted string as the parameter, and effectively give you a rowcount of the table, as well as a preview of the top 100 rows.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• 🙂 cool, thank you :w00t:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply