Managing Scripts between development and production

• I am doing development work on SQL 2008 and production on SQL 2005. I was planning on storing scripts separately and running them against the production version after they are ready. I would be able to look for the mofication date of the stored files to make sure the right ones get run.

Is this reasonable?

• It could work, but you're going to run into a lot of issues, possibly. Do you have source control available? If not, get something like Microsoft's Team Foundation Server or some third party tool that will allow you to check the database scripts into source control. This will allow you to label versions of the database and only get changes between versions or check out a particular version, etc.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Fred,

As previously mentioned, it could work. But... it will become a nightmare to maintain and manage, especially if your working in a team environment. It's recommended you use a version/source control system to perform these task. Many of these systems are available. If you are working in a single user environment I would recommend you have a look at products offered by http://www.sourcegear.com/ as the offer a free for single user license, but have the scalability for team implementation should the need arise. It also directly integrates with Visual Studio.

• If you have a visualsource safe or Source depot or VSTF available please use it to avoid any big problem. If you have none then make a directory structure and prpper naming mechanism to avoid confusion.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply