Managing passwords for application accounts

• We have many many many applications that typically use a sql user account and have a password that never expires.

How do you folks handle this? Is there any automated method?

thanks

sam

• Handle what?

That is not that odd. Sometime you have to have connection string accounts like that.

It is much better to use Active Directory account, but I like using SQL accounts as well.

Andrew SQLDBA

• In SQL Server 2005, you can set a password policy for SQL accounts if you are on Windows 2003 or later.

If you are running SQL 2000, there isn't any way to expire passwords. You could check for the last alter date on a login and if it's xx days old, you could send the user a message.

• AndrewSQLDBA (9/9/2008)

Handle what?

That is not that odd. Sometime you have to have connection string accounts like that.

It is much better to use Active Directory account, but I like using SQL accounts as well.

Andrew SQLDBA

Now that you mention it, I should just work on getting all our .net moved to domain accounts and use global groups for ODBC apps.

But we will still have some apps that use sql auth. I need to be able to manage password changes, which I didn't exactly state in my first post...:Whistling:.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply