Making Transact SQL Debugger work

• Hi,

I was very excited when I heard that I can debug stored procs from Query Analyzer in SQL 2000. But, after all the efforts I made at this I started getting a little pessimistic.

I configured our server on Win2000. When I try to debug the procedure from workstation I get the message

"Unable to communicate with debugger on...". I found some help on the net and tried to implement the same. But, as usual it did'nt work.

When I debug the stored proc on the server itself it runs, but it disables all the debug commands.

I am just unable to get this work. Do anyone of you have any solutions to this. Got to make this work.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Mitra

• I've not seen this error with the debugger, but I'll keep my eye out. You are in Query Analyzer at the workstation and not through a Terminal Services session on the server, correct?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• How is the server configured to startup? I think I ran into this when the server was running under local system, or perhaps a non-administrative account.

Try setting the server to start as the local admin and see what happens.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I have only managed to make this work on the server. When I try to run it from query analyzer on the client, I get the same problems - all the debug buttons are disabled.

I would love to know how to make this work!!

• Hi,

Thanks for who responded.

I am not using a terminal service. My workstation is a Windows NT workstation. And the server is on Win 2000. But, I don't think this should really cause a problem.

Steve, I tried the solution you suggested (By the way this is given in MSDN.). But, this does not work. Also, the same paper tells to configure dcom properties which I duly did. But, still the same problems persists from the client. Then I went to the server and tried to debug, when I find that the debug buttons are disabled.

Hhhhhhhhhh.........

If I get to find some solution I will post that.

Thanks & Regards,

Mitra

• Don't have an NT workstation handy. We are all W2K and I wouldn't be surprised if NT is the issue for remote debugging.

On my servers that allow debugging:

W2K, SP1 Server. SQL 2000, SP1 Running under domain account, local admin, NOT domain admin. Both sql and agent use the same account.

My workstaation. W2k PRo, SP2. SLQ2K client tools and personal install of server. Can debug remote procs on server and local procs on local server. Note that both these processes work the same. You make an RPC connection either way.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply