Making Demands

• Thomas LaRock (6/26/2009)

damn. i forgot the hyperbolic chamber...

LOL! Excellent!

• Thomas LaRock (6/26/2009)

damn. i forgot the hyperbolic chamber. and i think i know of an upcoming estate sale where i can get one cheap.

Is that a special place for complicated mathematics? 😛

Honor Super Omnia-
    Jason Miller

• I like the idea of the mini-bar... But would settle with a keg of Bee-Hive inside the room. Having a surround sound system in the suite would also be great with no restrictions on how loud I could crank it.

Joe 😎

• Forget the mini-bar. I want a maxi-bar. My own full-sized bar with a bartender who knows exactly how I like my drinks and cigars.

You know, kind of like the bar Jack Nicholson had in The Shining.

And, about 500 of my closest drinking and cigar buddies.

Oh, and golf with cart, toenail clipping, and, ear hair removal. Not necessarily all at the same time.

• Jason Miller (6/26/2009)

Thomas LaRock (6/26/2009)

damn. i forgot the hyperbolic chamber. and i think i know of an upcoming estate sale where i can get one cheap.

No, it's a place where you lock up all the annoying, over-the-top, motor-mouthed sales reps - and politicians.

On another note... it's not often that reading a thread here makes me hungry. But this one did. Glad it's almost dinner time.

• Jason Miller (6/26/2009)

Thomas LaRock (6/26/2009)

Actually cheap shot at Michael Jackson passing.

10 inches Mini x64 with 10gig of ram running Win7 RTM, SQL Server 2008 RC2 and VS2010 RTM.

:Whistling:

😎

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I'm surprised it took so long for someone to want a bartender. Getting up on stage almost necessitates that for some people!

• - Internet access

- One of those tables that go on the bed to server food. But in my case, it would be used to put the portable on "very relaxing"

- BEER, with carrots on the side soaked in lime and salt.

• - Chicago deep dish pizza

- Couple of good, cold six packs

- Access to any movie that suits my mood; along with projector, screen, and full surround sound - in the suite

- Rather than a six pack of St. Pauli Girls, how about THE St. Pauli Girl on call for massages...

- And of course a back-pack super soaker capable of reaching up to Ian's balcony...just in case.

• Sushi, fresh fruit (peeled, cleaned, and sliced), and a couple of bottles of fine Chardonnay would work for me.

• I guess I would have requirements in the food, drink, and entertainment categories, as well as a large and comfortable suite with decent (and noiseless) temperature and humidity control, high speed internet access, very large screen that I can connect my laptop to, free of annoying deodarants and other foul pollution, with balcony giving excellent view of mountains and sea, next door to the 10th floor swimming pool and spa. I also require a location with good weather temperature ramnge outdoors from 20C (at 3 am) to 32C (at 3 pm), daytime humidity low enough that that temperature isn't a problem,

The food would be fun: Would have to sttart with a proper a proper old-fashioned Scottish 7 course breakfast (poached smoked haddopck to start, currants and blaeberries, smoked salmon with scrambled egg and curly toast, fresh diced melon, lorne sausage and thick back baconwith fred eggs and black and white puddings with thick lightly toasted wholemean bread, English pancakes with lemon, and Scots pancakes with butter and noney - all accompanied by fresh green tea, fizzy mineral water, and fresh orage juice and pomegraate juics. For lunch baked hake fillet with king prawns in a coriander, chopped guindilla, and sliced garlic sauce, artichoke hearts, white asparagus, and fresh peas with mint, and garlic greens, some decent crusty bread, and a half bottle of a light Spanish rosado (vega de Yucco would be fine) and German fizzy mineral water. For tea some ripe Camambert and Brie and Stilton with suitable bread and grapes, with fresh white tea. For Dinner poached dover sole fillet (I'm not English so I don't think sole is edible only when grilled or regard it as improper to serve it other than on the bone) in an ajillo sauce followed by a good garlic soup (should be plenty of bread and a couple of eggs in that if it's done properly) followed (after a sorby to clear the pallet) by a grilled veal fillet steak with wrinkly potatoes and three sauces (red mojo, green mojo, alioli), and lettuce, tomato, and onion, and for desert fruit (blackberries, strawberries) with hard cheeses (matue red cheddar, cheshire, wensleydale); white wine (el grifo) and red wine (a realy good Saint Emilion, perhaps) in small quantities and a decent brandy with the desert. And of course mineral water, both still and fizzy, on tap throughout the meal.

For drink other than with meals I would require all the rollowing to be on tap at all times: good scottish beer 9bellhaven, I think), decent malt whiskey (Bruaichladdich and Talisker), good French brandy, ron miel, clear banna liquor, marmite (for drinking - so dissolved in hot water), Schneider weissbier (both dunkles weissbier and not dunkel).

Obviously eating and drinking all that would create mobility difficulties, so I would need a car (air conditioned, decent music system and CDs, minibar, internet access) with driver and drivers assistant (it could need two people to pour me into and out of the car); ideally these people should be fluent in both English and Gaidhlig and be able to provide simultaneous translation into either of those from American.

Then for entertyainment I would require a library with all the books I might want to glance at (and I would want a video tape of what they do to find a copy of "An Toinneamh Diomnhair" - it should make good comedy viewing) and a music library with all Scottish Gaelic song that's ever been recorded - in particular, Calum Kennedy singing An Eala Bhan (NOT the youtube version). all Verdi, Puccini, macagni, Cilea, leoncavello, Boito, Rossini and Weber, all recordings ever made by Ferrucio Tagliavini, Pete Seeger, Ewen McColl, Alastair MacDonald, Cyril Tawney, Alex Campbell, Joan Baez, Django Reinhart, Sidney Bechet, Edith Piaff or Francoise Hardy, all Beethoven and Mozart piano sonatas and symphonies and quintets (and the book library had beeter include the scores and lyrics for everything in the music library, of course) and any other music I hapen to think of. And of course a really good surround sound system and soundproof walls.

Finally, it appears that very high grade water-baloon deflection and couter-attacjk apparatus may be needed.

Tom

• Wow

• I'm partying with Tom.

• It think it took Tom this long just to compile his list...which deserves some kind of special award. Think it was Spicoli in Fast Times that said, "I wanna party with THAT dude!"

• stevet-1034619 (10/23/2009)

It think it took Tom this long just to compile his list...which deserves some kind of special award. Think it was Spicoli in Fast Times that said, "I wanna party with THAT dude!"

No. it didn't take long - - I stopped looking at SQL Server Central a few months ago & just got back to it, so the comment was made a very long time after Steve's editorial was published (and I'm still a couiple of months behind on SQLCs articles). The numerous typos should tell you that alcohol was speeding the ink flow (or the electronic equivalent) - it was done after four hours in the pub laughing at a professional singer who must have been the inspiration for the alternative version of The Green Fields of France (he really was so awful that it was funny - maybe the alcohol helped me see him as funny rather than hopeless - anyway, for some reason or other I took in a thoroughly unreasonable amount of Guinness). The breakfast menu is real, though - I was fed that (not at my instigation) when I was giving a talk on concurrency control about 35 years ago - and haven't seen the like since then (just as well - I'm about 30 lbs overweight as it is).

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply