Maintenance plans

• Bit frightening how many people are using maintenance plans.

Guess that's why there are so many posts on various forums about them not working.

And why there are so many posts about people not understanding basic maintenance on sql server.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

• Never really had a problem with them.

The only thing I find you have to be careful with is the scheduling. Otherwise you find you get the job failing with the sqlmaint.exe error.

Steven

• I never found myself with a major issue, just the occasional failing job as noted in previous post. Currently I have everything scripted and it has so far done quite well for the past year and a half.

• Had some problems in v7 if you selected the repair errors setting, sometimes would get left in single user mode. Only complaint I have with it is the all or none-ness of the database selections - if they would change it to allow a select to identify the db's would be nice (you can work around it though). I see no reason not to use it.

Andy

• It's a nice quick way to setup backups. When I first configure a server, I often use them until I can go back and spend some time tweaking the backups with my own scripts. They're not always handy because I keep them under VSS and a new server sometimes doesn't have VSS installed.

However, in SS2K, I have had issues with the integrity checks failing. Also, if there is an issue, the plan fails with next to 0 information, so I try to avoid them.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Most of our servers are SQL 7 but we do have some SQL 2000 in the mix and we use maintenance plans quite heavily for basic backup and maintenance schemes. We've not had any problems with them running or failing. The one thing we don't do is have the repair minor errors turned on, which Andy has already mentioned. In the cases where more complicated backup or maintenance strategies are required, we'll take the time to write the scripts.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply