Looking for software that can do performance monitoring

• Hi, All

I have a q for u.... I have a 140GB CRM DB that has been implemented since last Nov. This server has been beating badly.. Therfore performance has been issued. I did Profiler for that server over on week to see what is going on this server. I found out that when application hits certain tables, that slows down saving & deleting data but since this table is huge and has been used any users who log into this application, I can not much about that. And this table is well indexed...However problem is not just only this few tables but system wide.

What I want to find out is how well SQL server is using resources and other factors. I need to have overall monitoring system that can show me more detail info. Like what time frame is for bad performance and when it happens, what tables are used , how many users are hitting that tables and so on....Maily I've been using Profiler to find some problem..

My Q to u is that do u know any good software that can do this job?

Thx in advance..

Jay

• Have you tried using perfmon?

Other than that, in the short term Quest has a tool called Spotlight. It's pretty much a real time monitoring tool. It works okay, however is very flakey. It might work well for you to identify the bottlenecks that you are having.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Which CRM system do you use?

• I am not sure u are heard about this CRM.

Name is IMIS. This package nomally focuses on non-profit organizations.

Thx

Jay

• There is a free tool called SQLCheck from Idera (http://www.idera.com/Products/SQLcheck/) that shows some key perfomance stats.  Of course, since it is free it does not save the stats.  They do offer some other SQL Tools that will save data.  YOu might want to check out NetIQ AppManager (http://www.netiq.com/products/am/default.asp) also. 

• Some of the monitoring you can do by yourself too before buying any expensive tools.

First of all let's check the defragmentation's status (dbcc showcontig) of your database or your particular table.

If it seems to be too fragmented you have to rebould the indexes (dbcc dbreindex)

• Check if you do not have autoshrink on
  • Check if your db files or tempdb files are not growing during the transactions (eg. are the files set big enough)
  • Check perfmon for performance issues (Disk, Memory, CPU)
  • Run the profiler and filter for queries where the Duration is longuer then a normal value (I'm usually checking queries running longuer then 5000 ms). If you have some check the query and it's access plan. Correct the indexes if needed.
  • If you have disk bottleneck verify if you have well separated the data from the log and Index and tempdb

• Bye
    Gabor

• I've used the Quest tool too and it's OK.  We've switched to Embarcadero tools now.  We use Performance Center for 24 x 7 monitoring of our SQL Servers and Oracle (only the critical ones).  For ad-hoc troubleshooting, we use Embarcadero's Performance Analyst, which runs inside the DBArtisan admin tool.  Works real well and provides built-in SQL analysis so I don't have to use both it and Profiler. 

• Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply