Longblob to varbinary(max)

• hi ,

I am having issue with SqlMigrationTool migarting mysql data to MSSQL server. During the migration , i have no issues , but when i pulled data with longblob datatype , data is converted to varbinart(max) which is right . But user mentioned data is null for most of the records where she is expecting data. What could fix this issue please suggest?

• I would start by comparing the data in the two systems.  Pick a table and compare the values between the two.  It COULD be that the user expected data, but data didn't actually exist in the MySQL side, it could be that the data needs to be decrypted before it can be used, it could be that the end user is trying to do something unexpected with the data (decrypt, encrypt, convert, etc) and isn't getting the expected result.

So, my first step would be to log into each system and manually have a look at a row.  Do a comparison on that individual row and make sure that to you they appear to match.  THEN get a row from a user and compare it between the two systems to make sure they match.  It could be something like the tool the user is using doesn't work properly with VARBINARY(MAX) and needs it in another datatype, or the tool doesn't work properly with SQL Server.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply