LogShipping & Full Database BackUps

• Hello,

I'm an Oracle and Sybase DBA and new on MSSQL Server. We have setup a primary SQL Server and using logshipping for a standby solution. My question now: During a full database backup the log will be backed up too. Do I miss this data on the standby ?

Thanks,

Bernd

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hello Bernd,

Performing a full database backup on a log shipping primary will break the transaction log backup chain. This will prevent you from restoring more transaction logs to the secondary.

Hope this helps.

If you have additional questions about this reply directly to me. Unfortunately, I don't get to read the forums every day.

Richard L. Dawson
    Microsoft Sql Server DBA/Data Architect

I can like a person. People are arrogant, ignorant, idiotic, irritating and mostly just plain annoying.

• I disagree. I perform full backups on my primaries on a regular basis and it does not break the chain. A full backup includes enough of the log to restore a consistent database, but it does not truncate the log. A log backup includes all transactions since the last log backup.

Sequential transaction log backups will include a complete history of the transactions regardless of intervening full or differential backups. Beyond the fact that log shipping continues despite a full backup on the primary, I have seen two other important implications of this. First, just because you are backing up the full database you are not pardoned from doing log backups when you are not in simple recovery; the log will continue to grow until it is backud up. Second, if you need to restore and find that your most recent full backup is corrupt or lost, you can still restore from a previous full backup and apply all the log backups.

• Just posting to confirm from direct personal experience that everything skeane said is correct. So long as your transaction log backups don't get lost or corrupted, log shipping will continue to work. (This is for both SQL 7.0 and 2000, and I'd have to assume 2005 as well.)

Philip

• Philipp, SKeane,

thanks a lot for your help. I wasn't sure if I have a complete standby database - now I know

Bernd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply