Log size limit?

• Hello,

On a large database which is being written to extensively, received errors "Autogrow of the "dbname_log" in database dbname was cancelled by user or timed out after ___ milliseconds. Use ALTER DATABASE to set a smaller FILEGROWTH value for this file or to explicitly set a new file size"

When I try to set "Unrestricted File Growth" it always bumps the log file back to "restricted file growth" of 2,097,152.

This is a large database and the application writing to it failed to save certain records, perhaps due to this.

Please advise.

• See if this answers your question:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822641

• chrisph (5/5/2010)

Hello,

On a large database which is being written to extensively, received errors "Autogrow of the "dbname_log" in database dbname was cancelled by user or timed out after ___ milliseconds. Use ALTER DATABASE to set a smaller FILEGROWTH value for this file or to explicitly set a new file size"

When I try to set "Unrestricted File Growth" it always bumps the log file back to "restricted file growth" of 2,097,152.

This is a large database and the application writing to it failed to save certain records, perhaps due to this.

Please advise.

First, the max size of a log file is 2 TB, which is what 2,097,152 MB equals.

Second, your transaction log is probably growing by a percentage, say 10%, and the log file large enough that it can't be initialize before timing out. You need to change this to a set size small enough that the log can be initialized properly, but this is just a symptom of another problem.

What is the recovery model of the database, FULL or BULK_LOGGED? If so, how often, if at all, are you runnig transaction log backups?

• Yes the log file is set to autogrow by 10% (which was 100MB), I have set this to 50MB now.

The database is in FULL recovery mode.

There are no log backups currently (this is more of a test databse), do these "flush" out the logs during backup?

Would it be better to turn off autogrow on this and set it to a large size?

Would setting the recovery model to Simple also fix this?

• chrisph (5/5/2010)

Yes the log file is set to autogrow by 10% (which was 100MB), I have set this to 50MB now.

There are no log backups currently (this is more of a test databse), do these "flush" out the logs during backup?

If it's a test DB and DR/BCP are not needed and since you are not doing TLog backups, then your best off to simply change the recovery model to simple

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• chrisph (5/5/2010)

Yes the log file is set to autogrow by 10% (which was 100MB), I have set this to 50MB now.

Since it is a test database, and probably does not need point in time recovery; yes, change the recovery model to SIMPLE.

• Please read through this - Managing Transaction Logs[/url]

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply