Log Shipping Error

• Check this link http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreplication/thread/634851b4-d6e6-4f76-bfa3-5bd9dae6de77/

Also the account to connect to the secondary server needs to be sa.

Maybe it helps.

• (Would someone please continue this Post. It seems to be a common

problem area and so far there is no satisfactory conclusion.

How can it be so difficult to implement a standard feature of SQLserver?)

I am getting exactly the same error.

Our SQL Server Agents are running with a local account.

Could this be the problem?

But I have tried running the following command from the command line of the Secondary

Server (UKCHSQL01) using my own windows domain account (which has fully admin rights

on both servers) and still get the same error.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\sqllogship.exe" -Copy 8320ECF4-60A8-4B17-9275-00E2EDC04F65 -server UKCHSQL01

=>

2009-03-19 08:28:59.25 ----- START OF TRANSACTION LOG COPY -----

2009-03-19 08:28:59.31 *** Error: Could not retrieve copy settings for secondary ID '8320ecf4-60a8-4b17-9275-00e2edc04f

65'.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping) ***

2009-03-19 08:28:59.31 *** Error: The specified agent_id 8320ECF4-60A8-4B17-9275-00E2EDC04F65 or agent_type 1 do not form a valid pair for log shipping monitoring processing.(.Net SqlClient Data Provider) ***

2009-03-19 08:28:59.32 *** Error: Could not log history/error message.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping) ***

2009-03-19 08:28:59.32 *** Error: The specified agent_id 8320ECF4-60A8-4B17-9275-00E2EDC04F65 or agent_type 1 do not form a valid pair for log shipping monitoring processing.(.Net SqlClient Data Provider) ***

2009-03-19 08:28:59.32 *** Error: Could not cleanup history.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping) ***

2009-03-19 08:28:59.32 *** Error: The specified agent_id 8320ECF4-60A8-4B17-9275-00E2EDC04F65 or agent_type 1 do not form a valid pair for log shipping monitoring processing.(.Net SqlClient Data Provider) ***

2009-03-19 08:28:59.32 ----- END OF TRANSACTION LOG COPY -----

• Wish I had an answer, but did want to reply that I am seeing the same issue.

• Seem to have got beyond this problem now but still not sure what was the exact cause of the above error.

Would make the following points though which don't seem to be obvious when following the "authorised texts".

- Both SQL Server Agent AND SQL Server Services must be owned by DOMAIN accounts with SA rights.

- Must not backup logs of Primary database while log shipping is active, so if you have an automatic log backup procedure in place, ensure that it is disabled for the Primary database.

- Use "script to query" when ready to set up Log Shipping. When reading the script that is generated, you will see that part of it should be run on the Primary and part on the Secondary.

This doesn't not happen (at least it didn't for me) if you just click OK (it set up all jobs on the Primary which was incorrect).

Hope this is helpful.

• I am writing a topic on it and will show you how i resolved this issue .

THe gurus can guide after looking the scripts .To me it looks like a bug where the metadata is not updated and previous metadata is not deleted .My topic will be related to Log shipping : How to automate LogShipping setup .

I will also publish this on my blog : http://www.blogger.com/profile/01331184161430889120

Regards

Abhay

Abhay Chaudhary
    Sr.DBA (MCITP/MCTS :SQL Server 2005/2008 ,OCP 9i)

• Dear Friends

Did anyone got solve the below problem? If yes please share with me. thanks

LogShipping) ***

2009-12-22 18:02:13.92*** Error: The specified agent_id D130E15D-305F-47A0-9CCB-3049124C91B2 or agent_type 1 do not form a valid pair for log shipping monitoring processing.(.Net SqlClient Data Provider) ***

2009-12-22 18:02:13.92----- END OF TRANSACTION LOG COPY -----

Exit Status: 1 (Error)

thank you in advance

🙂

• Yes, I found it. This is because of the insufficient access problem.

I remove the existing DOMAIN ID from the secondary server and re - add again.

its working now. no more error

I already tried ti uninstall/install the sql2005 from secondary server but no differents.

The last option I tried is to remove and add again the domain id which is already having the required permission and acesses.

thanks to all.

be happy.:-P

• service pack shud not be a prob since I am also having similar kind of setup in my organisation

• Check the LogOn account under which the 'SQL Server Agent' service is running. Make sure its a DomainUser(If using AD) who has previliges on both servers. The default user account NETWORKSERVICE will not work accross Domain servers (in my experience at least)

• Siva ,

I have the answer .I also wandered like you and i could not find the answer anywhere.The answer is that there are a few log shipping tables that do not have the rows related to new logshipping servers .

Once you manally insert the rows it will work .

Check my Blog and I am sure you will win this problem .Read it carefully and go through the problems i faced and resolved .One of the problem is what you have mentioned :

http://ms-abhay.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-automate-logshipping-setup-on.html

Abhay Chaudhary
    Sr.DBA (MCITP/MCTS :SQL Server 2005/2008 ,OCP 9i)

• hi_abhay78 (12/29/2009)

Siva ,

I have the answer .I also wandered like you and i could not find the answer anywhere.The answer is that there are a few log shipping tables that do not have the rows related to new logshipping servers .

Once you manally insert the rows it will work .

Check my Blog and I am sure you will win this problem .Read it carefully and go through the problems i faced and resolved .One of the problem is what you have mentioned :

http://ms-abhay.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-automate-logshipping-setup-on.html

Thanks Hi_Abhay78. Your solution on your blog helped fix our problem.

• I have the same problem.

What is related with can not open share folder logshipping secondary from primary ?

Tks.

Regards,

Heri

• Standby server log shipp

ing folder sharing not required. Only need to share the log shipping folder (eg Tlogs) at primary server.

And give the approperiate permission (Domain access)

• I suspicious to can't open share folder because, I have 2 secondary server instances.

But first secondary its ok.

Maybe any suggestion for solve this problem ?

• if that is the case, make sure the second instance also using the same service account (SQL agent for both instances)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply