Log shipping backup job, and synchronizing secondry database

• Im pretty sure of this, but i want to be absolutely sure. if im running log shipping on a database, i can only have one transaction log backup job. is that correct?

also, lets say the primary is quite big, a few hundred gb in size, and the tran log is backed up every 2 mins.

It takes me 30 mins to restore the primary backup to the secondry server. This means there are now 15 transaction log backups.

do i have to restore these also before enabling log shipping? am i best to disable all transaction log backup jobs while enabling log shipping?

• winston Smith (8/27/2009)

Im pretty sure of this, but i want to be absolutely sure. if im running log shipping on a database, i can only have one transaction log backup job. is that correct?

correct in that the log shipping process will only use logs created by the log backup job it creates. If you use any other method to back the log up, the chain will be broken

also, lets say the primary is quite big, a few hundred gb in size, and the tran log is backed up every 2 mins.

It takes me 30 mins to restore the primary backup to the secondry server. This means there are now 15 transaction log backups.

do i have to restore these also before enabling log shipping? am i best to disable all transaction log backup jobs while enabling log shipping?

its probably easiest and best to do this, but not essential. You should disable at least the restore job whilst restoring the database.The log shipping process will know the last transaction log backup it copied and restored. what you have to do is make sure the next CGRONOLOGICAL backup in the log shipping directories (on both sides) is after the full backup you used to reinitialise log shipping, then that will be the first tran log restored and all should proceed as expected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• rereading the second part of your question to mean when you first set up log shipping and the log backups were not produced via the log-shipping jobs, you would either have to restore those logs manually with norecovery, or preferably delete that job and make sure the first and all consecutive log backups are produced by the log shipping set up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks for the responses. that clears a lot of questions up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply