Log file full problem

• HI. I'm trying to import an access database with 117,000 records into a test database and i keep getting the LOG FILE FULL error. So I've increased this log file to where it is now 30 mb and it can grow automatically by 25% to a max size of 35 MB. It appears it abends on the last record. So I tried to just bring in the same database with only 100,000 records and the same error happens. but when i look at the log file size it still has 8 or 10 MB free. so it appears that it really isn't filling up. can someone give me some hints as to what might be going on? I'm completely lost on this one. It's as if i keep increasing the log file size and it keeps saying it is running out of space but yet there is still alot of space left. thanks for ANYTHING at this point.

• When the import fails, the transaction rolls back, and thus there is space left.

I'd increase the log to 100MB or so and see what happens. You can always shrink it. You might also import in batches of 1000 rows or so.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Try using these to make sure you are seeing accurate data for the database.

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE (0)

That one will make sure that EM properties for the database are accurate.

DBCC SQLPERF ( LOGSPACE )

That will provide exact data from Query Analyzer as to log file size and % of space used.

• Thank you so much, I not only increased the log file but the data file also needed to be increased. Also, thank you for the DBCC commands to do the checking. They are very helpful!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply