Localized Install

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Localized Install

• Interesting question, thanks Steve
    Had to read up on it, so learned something

• From the referenced article:

Installations of different language versions of SQL Server instances on the same computer are not supported.

Not quite sure how this tallies with the purportedly correct answer?

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.

• Rune Bivrin - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:27 AM

From the referenced article:

Installations of different language versions of SQL Server instances on the same computer are not supported.

I think this relates to different language versions (e.g. German, French, etc) on the same machine
    The installation of a localized language (e.g. German in Germany) and English is supported :

Cross-Language Support

• The English-language version of SQL Server is supported on all localized versions of operating systems.

• Localized versions of SQL Server are supported on localized operating systems with the corresponding language or on English-language versions of supported operating systems by using the Windows Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) settings. For more information, see Configure Operating System to Support Localized Versions.

• Localized versions of SQL Server can only be upgraded to localized versions of the same language, and cannot be upgraded to the English-language version.

• Localized versions of SQL Server can also be installed side by side with English-language instances of SQL Server.

• Ok. Guess I need to understand the difference between a localized version and a language version. Or not; sounds more like asking for trouble than anything else...

• Rune Bivrin - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 3:04 AM

Ok. Guess I need to understand the difference between a localized version and a language version. Or not; sounds more like asking for trouble than anything else...

Agree wholeheartedly

• Unfortunately, the software is English and US centric. It's written in English, and the English version isn't localized. Any other language is localized.

It's only important if you're not a silly American and trying to plan for a German version and French version. In that case, you couldn't have them both on the same host. You'd need virtualization.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:34 AM

Unfortunately, the software is English and US centric. It's written in English, and the English version isn't localized. Any other language is localized.

It's only important if you're not a silly American and trying to plan for a German version and French version. In that case, you couldn't have them both on the same host. You'd need virtualization.

I'm Swedish, working in Sweden, and for the life of me I cannot even comprehend what a version of SQL Server localized for Sweden or Swedish would look like. What does it mean, other than error messages and tools in another language?
    Getting date and time formatting, week and day numbering and that stuff correct is a no brainer anyway (apart from being mainly a client issue, in my opinion). The only thing I've even remotely come across is SSIS not having access to every desired locale, which might have been nice when reading CSV files. But unless a localized version were to give me access to EVERY locale, I'll rather make do with the US version.

• I think you get error messages and the error log in Swedish. Not sure about the tools even.

My guess is that it's more an issue for Asian languages that might want those items in their local language (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc).

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:18 AM

I think you get error messages and the error log in Swedish. Not sure about the tools even.

My guess is that it's more an issue for Asian languages that might want those items in their local language (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc).

I still don't understand what the difference is between a version of SQL Server in German, as opposed to a version of SQL Server localized for Germany. Clearly there must be a difference, given that the former precludes side-by-side installation, where as the latter allows it.

• I don't think there is. There is a localized version of SQL Server in German, not for Germany, but in German. This version can be installed side by side with another version in German, or the non-localized English version, but as I understand it, this version cannot be installed with a different localized version, such as one in French, Chinese, etc.

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:57 AM

Rune Bivrin - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:27 AM

From the referenced article:

I think this relates to different language versions (e.g. German, French, etc) on the same machine
    The installation of a localized language (e.g. German in Germany) and English is supported :

Cross-Language Support

• The English-language version of SQL Server is supported on all localized versions of operating systems.

• Localized versions of SQL Server are supported on localized operating systems with the corresponding language or on English-language versions of supported operating systems by using the Windows Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) settings. For more information, see Configure Operating System to Support Localized Versions.

• Localized versions of SQL Server can only be upgraded to localized versions of the same language, and cannot be upgraded to the English-language version.

• Localized versions of SQL Server can also be installed side by side with English-language instances of SQL Server.

This is referencing the underling OS.
    Granted, you CAN do this.  But it is NOT supported.
    Localized versions of SQL Server can also be installed side by side with English-language instances of SQL Server

Caution+

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:34 AM

Unfortunately, the software is English and US centric. It's written in English, and the English version isn't localized. Any other language is localized.

Steve, isn't it about time you Americans learned how to speak, write, spell and pronounce English correctly? That way we wouldn't need to worry about localisation of an English version. (Removes tongue from cheek.)

You never know: reading my book: "All about your computer" might just tell you something you never knew!
    lulu.com/kaspencer

• kaspencer - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:32 PM

Steve, isn't it about time you Americans learned how to speak, write, spell and pronounce English correctly? That way we wouldn't need to worry about localisation of an English version. (Removes tongue from cheek.)

Yes, and I apologize on behalf of the US for our poor language skills. We really should do better; unfortunately, relatively few people listen to me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply