Linux data and index files

• Hi

Does anyone know where the data and index files are stored on a Linux server?

I want to extract the data from a linux database and store it in sql server.

Thanks in advance

• I might have missed something, but I have never heard that Linux comes with a database. Maybe you could clarify?

Or do you mean an SQL Server database running on Linux? You can find where the files are located with sp_helpdb, but if you want to extract data, it is no different from SQL Server on Windows. You connect to it in the same way.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• Hi

Thanks for the reply

Linux data doesn't come with a database, I am told that the data is kept in files somewhere.

There is a data file and a index file for each "table".

Its these files id like access to

in my (probably optimistic) mind I have a vision of some text (type) files stored somewhere on the Linux server.

Thanks again

• What is really optimistic is that you expect that someone without knowledge about your system would know where these files are located on this machine. If someone told you that the data is kept in files somewhere, you will need to ask that person for more precise details.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• 🙂 i thought it would be the same set up for linux systems and data files are kept in the same place in the same folder structure

• apologies I completely misunderstood linux

feel free to delete this thread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply