Linked Server Modification

• I have a linked server and need to change only the @svrproduct and the @datasrc.  I cannot figure out how to do this.  I do not want to drop the object and recreate.

@server = N'EAUTO', @srvproduct=N'1.2.3.4', @provider=N'SQLNCLI', @datasrc=N'1.2.3.4'

Thanks,

Terry

A great day starts with a great attitude

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• There is no supported procedure to change those - dropping and recreating with the updated information is the supported method. I would guess you could hack the system table to update the information sys.servers but you'd have to search for how to do that as it's not something I would post. And it's really, really, really not recommended. But the only reason I can think of for not wanting to drop and recreate would be if you didn't have the password for a login being used and creating the a new login and password or resetting the existing password on the other data source  may not be an option. If that's the case, there are a few powershell scripts on the internet to get linked server passwords or script them out with passwords. I haven't tried it on 2016 but it did work on 2014 and earlier versions. I would test that method before trying to hack system tables. All the scripts I've seen to get the linked server passwords use the same method from this post:

Decrypting MSSQL Database Link Server Passwords

If you do a search on something like "linked server password recovery", you can find some of the ways people have used that Powershell script.

Sue

• Hello,

You could try some of the ideas mentioned here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11866079/changing-properties-of-a-linked-server-in-sql-server

HTH.

-- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply