Linked Server - invalid object

• I have created a linked server connection...but when I run my query I get:

Invalid object name 'VSMIADBGP01.LPB_GreatPlainsUtils.vwADB_LPB_CONSOLIDATED_ACCOUNT_DIV_DEPT_BRANCH_YEAR_2009'.

• does wrapping it in brackets help? plus it needs to be a 4 part name...server.database.owner.object:

does this work:

SELECT * FROM [VSMIADBGP01].[LPB_GreatPlainsUtils]..[vwADB_LPB_CONSOLIDATED_ACCOUNT_DIV_DEPT_BRANCH_YEAR_2009]

--or

SELECT * FROM [VSMIADBGP01].[LPB_GreatPlainsUtils].[dbo].[vwADB_LPB_CONSOLIDATED_ACCOUNT_DIV_DEPT_BRANCH_YEAR_2009]

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• As mentioned, the code below should work, you just missed a schema part (dbo), which is reason for your error message.

SELECT * FROM [VSMIADBGP01].[LPB_GreatPlainsUtils].[dbo].[vwADB_LPB_CONSOLIDATED_ACCOUNT_DIV_DEPT_BRANCH_YEAR_2009]

• thanks guys

when I run it I get -

The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "VSMIADBGP01" does not contain the table ""LPB_GreatPlainsUtils"."dbo"."vwADB_LPB_CONSOLIDATED_ACCOUNT_DIV_DEPT_BRANCH_YEAR_2009"". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.

• Hmm..

If this table actually exists then you have clear permission issue.

• the view does exist...

how can I go about checking the permission?

• definitely a permissions issue;

there's several ways to set up how to get to the view, and it depends on how it's set up.

in my example below, because i decided to use "sa", i don't have a permissions issue, but if i put in "webdev", who is my user who has access to just one specific database, any calls to a database that user does nto have access to would fail with the same permissions error you are receiving.

go to this spot on your list of linked servers:

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Same error

Msg 7314, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "VSMIADBGP01" does not contain the table ""LPB_GreatPlainsUtils"."dbo"."vwADB_LPB_CONSOLIDATED_ACCOUNT_DIV_DEPT_BRANCH_YEAR_2009"". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table.

Under linked servers:

If I expand catalogs, I don't see my DB

I only see master, msdb and tempdb

If I click 'test connection' for linked servers, it tests fine.

• THANKS GUYS I GOT

THANKS TO YOU GUYS!!!

GOOD KARMA!!! 2 YOU ALL!!!!

• krypto69 (9/18/2009)

THANKS GUYS I GOT

THANKS TO YOU GUYS!!!

GOOD KARMA!!! 2 YOU ALL!!!!

Okay, and what was the problem? Something related to schema?

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• Please come back and tell us what you figured out. I am having the same problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply