Linked server error 18456

• Hello Team,

Iam getting the below error while creating the Linked server with windows authentication.

Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Line 88

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

• by windows authentication you mean using a domain account to use the linked server?

You can't explicitly use windows authentication through linked server.

• Iam getting the same error when using SQL user even

• You absolutely can use windows authentication (or SQL logins) with linked servers.

It looks like you don't have delegation, Kerberos configured to support the passing of credentials. Everything in the chain or path needs to have Kerberos configured. I can only find an old article that explains this but it still applies on current versions:

Configuring Linked Servers for Delegation

Sue

• Sue_H wrote:

You absolutely can use windows authentication (or SQL logins) with linked servers.

You can, i think you can't put explicitly in the linked server itself, the service that's gonna use the linked server must be running under the domain account and configure the linked server using "Be made using the login's current security context".

it'd be nice if you can correct me if im wrong.

regards.

• For Windows authentication, you can use "Be made using the logins current security context" OR you can also select the login, select impersonate but don't include a remote user or password and use "Not be made"

Putting anything in the Remote User or Remote Login is for SQL logins.

Sue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply